First Arriving Network
First Arriving Network

Job Security in Wichita

You Win Some … You Lose Some

TWO BROTHERS IN WICHITA, KANSAS, wanted to celebrate their $75,000 winning lottery ticket this past Friday.  So they went out and bought a weekend's worth of marijuana and meth, took it all back home and proceeded to blow up their house.

The home was part of a duplex and the woman who lived in the other half told the press that on Friday evening around 7 pm she heard "a big boom!" and then someone screaming, "Get out!"  Mary Jewitt, the neighbor said that it shook the whole house and then she saw smoke coming from the front door.

Neighbor Mary Jewitt  (KWCH-TV)

The Wichita Eagle tells us further:

Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department said that the brothers were in a house in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West Street, about 7 p.m. Friday, Watts said. One of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they planned to use to light their bongs. He emptied a couple of large cans of butane lighter fluid, leaking butane into the air.

"The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom," Watts said.

The victim’s girlfriend loaded him and some children into a car and took him to the Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis emergency room, where she dropped him off and left.

Officers went to the house with a warrant, where the other brother ran out, admitting he had marijuana and methamphetamine. He was arrested.

The 27-yr.-old burn victim had 2nd-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest.  He arrived still wearing his Kansas Lottery souvineer T-shirt and was released yesterday (Monday).  The other brother is still in jail as far as we know.

KAKE-TV filed this video report:


KWCH-TV has additional video HERE.

Hat tip:  Mark Donovan

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Comments - Add Yours