First Arriving Network
Powered by the First Arriving Network, Reaching 1M+ First Responders Worldwide

Ka-Boom Season Wrap-Up

The Latest July Ka-Boom Report

*  *  *

RICHMOND, INDIANA, WAS NOTED for it's mighty big fireworks retail shop, Windy City Fireworks.  Until Wednesday night.  A fire started in the rear of the store after closing and spread to the warehouse area where thousands of rockets and spectacular displays were stored.


WNDU-TV reported:

Wednesday night, just before ten o'clock, fireworks could be heard for miles around Rochester. A large fire quickly started at a longtime family run business called Windy City Fireworks.

The Rochester Fire Department and half a dozen other departments were called out to put out the fire. No word on where or how the first started. At times fireworks were going off while they were working, making it dangerous.

"Within the building you could hear some explosions," says Rochester Fire Department Chief Tom Butler. "They were still packed close together. Some of them did go off in the air. You could see firecrackers and bottle rockets going off."

The family that owns Windy City also owned a factory called Pyro Design and Development. In 2001 the factory was home to a deadly fire that killed four people. Pyro made devices that put out chimney fires.


NBC News provided this home video:


Fireworks pop off amid big store blaze


Fire units were on the scene for 12 hours working the last of the hot spots.  Investigation is continuing on the cause.


*  *  *

LEDYARD, CONNECTICUT, POLICE on routine patrol last Saturday when they found an unoccupied car parked in a hiking area late at night.  Looking inside the car they found what was described as "explosive material."

WVIT-TV continues:

The investigation led officers to a storage facility in the Gales Ferry section of Ledyard, where they found more materials, police said. State troopers responded and secured the materials.

John Mallow, 22, of the submarine base in Groton was charged with possession of explosives, manufacture of bombs, and possession of fireworks. He was held on a $50,000 bond.

Gary Braun, 19, also of the submarine base in Groton was charged with possession of explosives and possession of fireworks. He was held on a $10,000 bond.

Police said the manufacture charge is for mixing compounds together that are capable of creating an explosion and there was no indication that the men had any intent to cause damage or harm to anyone.

*  *  *

The Tampa Bay Times reported Tuesday:

No one was injured when a one-story house at 805 8 Ave. SW caught fire around 7 p.m., firefighters said. Foam was used to quickly extinguish the flames, which damaged an attached apartment behind the property, he said.

It was an accident, Mixson said, caused when neighbors from across the street lost track of where the fireworks they were shooting off landed.

*  *  *

FROM DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA, The Raleigh News & Observer observed:

A Durham Bulls (baseball) victory on Saturday scared away one of the team’s canine mascots.

Deuce, a one-year-old border collie, ran from the Durham Bulls Athletic Park after being frightened by the celebratory fireworks at the end of the game against the Gwinnett Braves. He hasn’t been seen since.

Durham Bulls Athletic Park (

Deuce was last seen running west of the DBAP.

*  *  *

KING-TV Seattle reported from Renton, Washington:

A man was in critical condition and may lose part of his leg after being injured by a sparkler bomb in Renton Thursday. Police say the explosion blew fragments as far as 125 feet. It happened around 4:25 a.m. at the Villa Townhomes in unincorporated Renton.

The King County Sheriff’s Office says the 26-year-old was left with open fractures to his left leg and the area below the left knee. He also had a deep penetrating injury to his left forearm. His left lower leg may be amputated below the knee.

Deputies say the sparkler bomb was made with at least 50 sparklers wrapped in duct tape. The man lit the bomb with a lighter in the middle of the street. Deputies say it appears to have exploded quickly. Some of the wire ended up embedded in the trees near the apartment complex. The explosion was heard several blocks away.

*  *  *  *  *

Comments - Add Yours