Darwin Nominee Flicks His Bic While Pumping Gas
A HABERSHAM COUNTY, GEORGIA, MAN was arrested Friday and charged for an incident that occurred on October 16 at a Clarksville gas station. Austin Dawkins, 37, was charged with reckless conduct for accidentally setting his wife Jessica, 30, alight while he was refueling his pickup truck.
Image courtesy of Georgia Dept. of Insurance
The gas station's security camera shows that Jessica was standing nearby when Austin set the pump handle to "on" and then took a cigarette lighter and for an unknown reason spun the flint and ignitied the lighter that he was holding very close to the fuel tank fill pipe.
The lighter ignited the vapor cloud that in turn set Jessica's clothes on fire. She took off runing a few steps before falling down and Austin apparently beat the flames out with his hands causing him to suffer some burns as a result. His wife had 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns on her arms, legs, back and head. She was flown to a burn unit but has since been released.
The Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commission issued the arrest warrant Friday charging Austin with "reckless conduct."
WRBL-TV shows the surveillance video in this report filed Saturday:
* * * * * * *